Playing MVE files in Winamp

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Playing MVE files in Winamp

Post by Top Gun »

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I'm willing to bet there are least a few people here who don't know about it. I just stumbled across a means of playing Interplay's .mve format movie files in Winamp (5, at least; I'm not sure about 2 or 3). I was poking around on the site of Game Audio Player, which can play a wide variety of PC game sound formats, including D3's .osf format. It can also play sound files from different compressed file formats. Anyway, the site also has available for download a package of freeware DirectShow filters that allow you to play certain types of files, including .mve files, in any audio player that supports DirectShow. Winamp 5 comes with such a plugin installed. Anyway, if anyone's interested, follow these steps:

1. Download the filter package here and extract the contents to any folder of your choice.

2. Run the register.bat file to register the filters.

3. Open Winamp, go to Options->Preferences, select Input under the Plug-ins menu, and double-click on the DirectShow Decoder plugin.

4. Add ";MVE" to the end of the string of file extensions.

5. If you want Winamp to be the default .mve player, go up to File Types and select MVE.

I know that there are players/converters for .mve files available, but for simply viewing the files as they are, I figure that this method works pretty well.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

Mmmm...I just got the MVE->EXE converter and don't worry about it. :p Nice find though.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

And of course I'm always the person these things never work for.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Thanks Top Gun :)
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

It won't work with winamp2 sinec 2 doesn't have support for video. :)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Anyone get it to work in WMP or the latest version of "Media Player Classic"?
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

What about QuickTime?